Lake City Bicycle & Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
Bicycle and pedestrian accidents have been on the rise, and there are a variety of reasons why. More vehicles on the road and distracted driving are certainly two contributing factors. Distracted drivers are a concern for both bicyclists and pedestrians, who are probably the last people to be noticed by someone who is already not paying attention.
Injuries sustained by pedestrians and bicyclists tend to be more serious, and sometimes catastrophic. If you’ve been in a bicycle or pedestrian accident, you need to speak with a Lake City bicycle & pedestrian accident lawyer. The team at Douglas & Douglas are here to help and fight to get you the compensation you deserve.
Florida Bicycle Accident Statistics
Bicycle crashes and pedestrian accidents are a definite concern in Florida. In 2014, Florida had the highest number of bicycle fatalities in the country with 139. Key findings show:
- Bicycle fatalities constitute at least 5% of all traffic-related fatalities.
- The majority of crashes occur on urban roadways.
- Over 10% of all bicyclists involved in an accident who were under the influence of alcohol resulted in fatalities.
- Over 27% of bicyclists who were under the influence of drugs died.
- Bicyclists who were riding against traffic often suffered more severe injuries than those riding in the same direction as traffic.
- For accidents caused by the bicyclist, failure to yield the right of way was the leading factor.
- Overall, drivers were at fault over 45% of the time while bicyclists were liable in 30% of accidents.
Common Hazards Lake City Bicyclists Face
Bicyclists face a number of hazards every time they get on their bike. Some of the more common ones include:
- Vehicles failing to yield the right of way to a bicyclist;
- Vehicle occupants opening their door without checking for bicyclists or motorcyclists;
- Inadequate signage;
- Negligent repair or maintenance; or
- Defective manufacturing or tire design.
Pedestrian Accident Statistics in Florida
Florida is also one of the top states in the nation for pedestrian accidents. In 2016, Florida had the second highest rate of pedestrian fatalities per 100,000 people. For the first half of 2017, Florida dropped slightly to 5th in the nation. Darkness is a definite contributing factor in pedestrian losses as 75% of fatalities occurred after dark.
Like other states, Florida is working to improve pedestrian safety. Some of the measures being taken include:
- Educating first responders about common types of accidents so they can offer the best response to an injured victim.
- Developing educational materials, including multilingual messaging.
- Working to improve lighting at areas where pedestrian accidents are highest, along with other engineering countermeasures.
Lake City Pedestrian Accident Causes
Common causes of pedestrian accidents in Lake City can include:
- Drivers not stopping at a red light or stop sign;
- Drivers stopping in the middle of a crosswalk, causing the pedestrian to walk outside of it;
- Drivers turning on a red light while a pedestrian is in the crosswalk; or
- Drivers who try to pass a stopped vehicle who is letting a pedestrian cross.
Retaining a Lake City Pedestrian & Bicycle Accident Lawyer
If you or a loved one were a bicyclist or pedestrian who was injured due to someone else’s negligence, let the personal injury attorneys at Douglas & Douglas help you through this difficult time. Contact our office at 386-752-5511 to schedule a consultation.