Jacksonville Business Litigation Lawyer
Let Douglas & Douglas help your business navigate through legal hurdles so you can focus on productivity. Douglas & Douglas successfully represents business clients ranging from start-up businesses and small family businesses to established corporations. When you need help with a lawsuit filed against you or another business litigation matter, Douglas & Douglas can help. See below for some examples of Douglas & Douglas’s business litigation services, and contact our Jacksonville business litigation lawyers for immediate assistance.
Breach of Contract Litigation
At the heart of every business transaction lies a contract, dictating rights and responsibilities for both sides. While most contracts are in writing, some may be oral and still be valid, while others may not be expressly stated at all, yet still a contract is implied in law. Businesses extend contractual relationships in dozens of different ways – with vendors, suppliers, landlords, employees and more – and when disputes arise, courts frequently turn to the terms of the contract to decide important rights. We provide keen insight and a constructive strategy to resolve your contract dispute favorably.
Even without a contract, businesses can find themselves embroiled in litigation brought on by other companies, members of the public or even government agencies. We can represent you in litigation based on allegations of consumer fraud, unfair business practices, deceptive trade practices and more. If your rights are being violated by another, we can help you pursue your claims as well. Damages in a business tort lawsuit may exceed the actual economic costs of a contract dispute, so having strong, effective representation is necessary to protect your important business interests.
Almost all business owners and executives find themselves in the role of employer as well, and subject to the numerous employment-related complaints that may be filed based on local, state and federal laws, rules and regulations. We provide practical advice, technical assistance and legal representation before courts and administrative agencies in a wide variety of employment claims, including:
- Employment discrimination: Discrimination claims range from race, gender, pregnancy status, ethnicity, religion, and more. Sexual orientation and gender identity are not explicitly protected under a Florida statute, yet some court decisions reveal that employers can be held at fault for discriminating against LGBTQ employees, according to the Florida Bar Journal. A discrimination claim needs to be handled swiftly and efficiently, because even if the claim is baseless, it can have serious implications for your business’ public image, for the moral of your other employees, and for your business dealings with other entities;
- Sexual harassment: Sexual harassment lawsuits can bring down everyone from the smallest business owner or private citizen, to the largest CEOs and governmental officials, as seen by the #MeToo movement. In fact, according to the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), sexual harassment complaints have been rising for the first time in 10 years, as reported by Reuters.
- Whistleblower: Whether you have been accused of defrauding the federal government, or for retaliating against a whistleblower, our law firm can help. Whistleblower lawsuits, investigation into fraud, and whistleblower retaliation are serious allegations that need to be handled by an experienced Jacksonville business litigation attorney.
- Retaliation: It is unlawful for an employer to take retaliatory measures against employees in the following circumstances:
- Due to a protected personal characteristic such as race, ethnicity, national origin, disability, gender, pregnancy status, or age if over 40.
- After an employee complains of discrimination or files a discrimination claim;
- After an employee has participated in an investigation into employer wrongdoing; and
- After an employee has refused to do something illegal or unethical that the employer demanded of them.
- Wrongful Termination: Wrongful termination can be a form of retaliation against an employee who brought up their unequal pay based on their race, a form of discrimination if a female employee becomes pregnant, or it can be in violation of a particular employee’s employment contract. Florida is an at-will employment state, meaning that you can terminate an employee for any legal reason whenever you wish, except if their contract specifically states their terms of employment and termination. Whatever the case may be, we can help compose a rational, fact-based argument that dispels the employee’s claims.
- Minimum wage claims:The minimum wage in Florida is $8.25 an hour. All employees must be paid this amount or more. However, there are a few exceptions. For instance, it is legal to pay some disabled employees less than the state or federal minimum wage. And, if an employee was caught stealing, their final paycheck can be deducted. An attorney can help prove that the employee was, in fact, paid according to the law; and
- Unpaid overtime: Unpaid time claims are quite common. These can also be handled with relative ease in some instances, as simple math can get to the bottom of the question. In other instances, in which it is more complicated when the employee was on overtime or not, the outcome can be more questionable.
Help with the Full Range of Florida Business Legal Disputes
Legal disputes are inevitable; they are a simple fact of doing business. It is also a fact that a small number of those disputes will likely require some level of formal legal intervention to resolve, up to and including trials and appeals in some cases. No matter what business you are in or what type of business you own, we can help you resolve your legal dispute. Douglas & Douglas attorneys help partnerships, corporations, limited liability companies (LLCs) and sole proprietorships with the full range of Florida business litigation, including:
- Shareholder and co-owner disputes
- Non-compete agreements
- License procurement
- Real estate disputes
- Environmental claims
- Insurance disputes
Call Our Jacksonville Business Litigation Lawyers Today
If you find yourself entangled in litigation or anticipate a dispute related to your business in Jacksonville, call Douglas & Douglas for “big firm” experience with small firm service and personal attention. Most importantly, our representation is focused on results. We will present a plan at the beginning of our representation that is geared toward producing the most stream-lined route to an effective outcome, consistent with your needs and goals.